Occupational therapists are a vital part of today’s health teams, helping people to meet their personal goals after illness or injury. It is an exciting area of practice which recognises the potential of each person and enables individuals to achieve health, wellbeing and life satisfaction through participation inmeaningful activity.
The education base of our school involves augmentation of specific knowledge and skills that are acquired by treating patients based on clinical evidence and by teaching learning methodologies; we adopt to transfer this scientific knowledge to our students. We are determined to guide and facilitate our prospective occupational therapy professionals to acquire such specific knowledge, skills and experience in their career to become reflective clinicians in treating patients and restore their optimum functional capabilities in everyday’s life.
VISION, MISSION, OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE OF THE PROGRAM
- Responsibilities of the School:
- Identify the current scope of occupational therapy practice.
- Recognize the importance of confidential and non-discriminatory practice.
- Use theoretical knowledge and practical skills to assess, plan and implement appropriate occupational therapy practice.
- Use powers of analysis and judgment to evaluate outcomes measured by a variety of methods.
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups.
- Discuss current health care and social policies.
- Take part in the management of health care, basing decisions within an ethical and professional framework.
- Recognize their own needs for continuing professional development, taking part in the dissemination of good practice in health promotion and health care contexts.
- Recognize the need to adapt occupational therapy practice, responding positively to change.
To be the number one Occupational Therapy School in Malaysia producing qualified and competent occupational therapists with patience and determination.
Parent Institution Vision:
Turning dream into reality, HEP vision is to be the nation’s top provider of health and medical sciences with academic excellence and producing compassionate, holistic patient-care graduates by the year 2020.
Mission statement: We strive to be fully committed and to maintain high academic standards in producing quality graduates with excellent knowledge, skills and attitude in all aspects of health services while preparing these graduates with sense of responsibilities, efficient, dedication and equipped with compassionate, holistic patient-care and continuous professional development.
Our dedication to offer health science and medical excellence with life–long learning opportunities for health care professionals throughout the nation.
Aims and Objectives:
- To produce a well trained and oriented Occupational therapist by the end of their course
- To be able to maintain standards of practice in the field of Occupational therapy.
- To exhibit professional conduct in the conformity with the existing regulations and ethical norms.
- To be able to advance their knowledge and study in the field of Occupational therapy
- To be able to perform research activities in the field of Occupational therapy
- To communicate effectively and possess good interpersonal skills.
- To become a Versatile team member in the Rehabilitation team
Program learning outcomes:
- After completing this program, the graduates shall be able to:
- Demonstrate the fundamental knowledge in occupational therapeutic sciences
- Demonstrate appropriate assessment techniques and be able to interpret findings independently
- Formulate effective treatment plan and conduct appropriate treatment and intervention
- Re-evaluate patient in order to achieve pre-set treatment goals and plans
- Anticipate and Recognize emergency situations and act promptly or refer as per the situation
- Identify the scope of practice and its limitations
- Adhere to legal and ethical principles in OT
- Communicate effectively either in verbal or non – verbal means including writing and reading skills
- Demonstrate leadership skills, interpersonal skills and exhibit social skills
- Participate and practice research based on the knowledge gained during their study
- Possess computing skills and able to retain and exhibit lifelong ;learning skills in their practice